This weekend I got a new razor. If you are not aware of the fact, I tend to push the useful life of items as long as I can under the banner of frugality. I usually don't start using a new razor or blade until I perceive the quality of my shave has diminished. Shave quality has two primary components: the smoothness of my face afterward and the comfort provided during the process.
The odd thing about waiting so long to change razors is that there is such a profound difference between the quality of the last shave with an old blade and the first shave with a new one that I wonder why did I not change earlier. However, it is hard to perceive the difference in quality on a day to day basis. I know that it will only get worse each day, but that imperceptible daily difference eventually results in me doing this daily activity with much greater effort with worse results than it should.
I think that life in general is somewhat like this. We go through our daily activities over and over, each day dulling the sharpness of our souls until we are putting forth much more effort with worse results than we should tolerate yet we might not even realize it. We must make a conscious effort to renew ourselves in order to get the most out of our lives.
I am reminded of Steven Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. The 7th habit is Sharpen the Saw. It is something I definitely need to work on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment