Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Carnivore Challenge

Last night I made my second visit to Big Pie in the Sky. This pizzeria has what they call the Carnivore Challenge. Two people get one hour to eat a 30 inch, 11 pound all meat pizza to win a cash prize. They are proud of the fact that it has been featured on the Travel Channel show Man V. Food.

I thought maybe I might could pull off this feat. I am a big guy and I love to eat. I ordered a slice of the Carnivore pizza to get a taste of the pizza. After just a few bites I knew that there was no way I could attempt such a thing. The meat on this pizza was cured to the point it would survive a trip across the Atlantic on the Mayflower: salt cured ham, salt cured bacon, salty and spicy pepperoni, spicy sausage. I also had problems keeping the meat on my slice. It was just piled up loosely with very little cheese. I had to drink plenty of sweet tea just to wash it down.

Later in the evening a pair of young, athletic looking men did attempt the Carnivore Challenge. They started off quickly stuffing the pizza into their faces. As I kept glancing in their direction I noticed their pace quickly declining. I walked by their table when their pizza was about 2/3 gone and noticed one of the fellows had that glassy look in his eyes. Just a few moments later he bolted out the front door and his companion followed. They returned several minutes later to box up the remains of their failed challenge.

And just in case you are wondering, I won both Scrabble games I played.

No comments:

Post a Comment