This past weekend I watched the classic movie "The Princess Bride" while visiting my parents. It had been years since I had seen it. One scene in particular stirred up something within me. Unfortunately I did not have internet access or this blog entry would have been posted that night. I did, however, find pencil and paper to write down what I wanted to share.
The scene is a sword fight between Inigo Montoya and the man who murdered his father when Inigo was a boy. Inigo had prepared his entire life to avenge his father's death. He knew that when he met his enemy he would say, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
In the duel Inigo is wounded and slumped against a wall. It appears as though he is doomed. Then he manages to hoarsely whisper, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." He regains a little strength and is able to deflect the enemy's blows. Then he repeats the saying and staggers forward on the offensive. He repeats the lines over and over, each time more boldly than before and it brings him greater strength until he is victorious in the battle.
I was reminded that I need to make a similar confession as Inigo did. After all, Romans 10:10 tells us that "...with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." And in Revelation 12:11 "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony."
Inigo's confession had three parts:
1. He said who he was. "I am Inigo Montoya."
2. He spoke to his enemy and reminded the enemy of his transgression. "You killed my father."
3. He demanded that the enemy do something. "Prepare to die."
Inigo stirred himself with his confession and it brought him strength. Each time he said it, he was bolder, reminding himself of who he was, the purpose of the battle, and the victory to be won. Jesus told us in Mark 11:23 "...whoever says to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says."
But notice also that the enemy did not just roll over at Inigo's words. He had to fight the battle. The enemy struck and wounded him, yet Inigo kept fighting. Proverbs 24:16 says "For a righteous man may fall seven times And rise again..." and Paul said in 2 Corinthians 4:9 that he was "...struck down, but not destroyed."
Let us remind ourselves with our confession just as Inigo did until the battle is won.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.............until the battle is won. :)
ReplyDeleteI like that Preston.
Good thoughts. Reminds me of when June refers to the part in the Rocky movie where he says "I aint going down no MORE."